Monday, March 17, 2008

WHY WINEHOUSE WON?


A lot of people in the four corners of the world are asking why Rehab by Amy Winehouse, a 24-year old R&B/Jazz/doo wop singer/songwriter, has won the 3 major awards in the recent 50th Grammy Awards Ceremony including Song of the Year. Matter of fact is some people would only perceive the song as a unsubstantial song of a desperate alcoholic girl who's struggling to have a life in the low.

Yeah, the song lacks of some strings of good values for a prestigious award ceremony like The Grammys. In fact, the chorus is not that inspiring. The message connotes a negative impression especially to the disturbed youngsters out there.


They tried to make me go to rehab

I said no, no, no.
Yes I been black, but when I come back
You wont know, know, know.

The main question is, What makes this song meaningful in a way that it grabbed the 50thGrammy's Song of the Year? The answers might not be simple. Personally, I like the song not only because of its cool tempo but also of its unique lyrics and arrangement. Believe me or not, when you listen to the entire song all over again, you can find a certain spark of hope that seems so priceless in our daily hectic life.

I said, I got no idea
I'm gonna, I'm gonna loose my baby
So I always keep a bottle near

These lines seem crazy, indicating a dialog of a confused girl whose life remains incomprehensible all way long. Question is; why she doesn't want a help when she needed one? Answer: Simply because she can't understand the exact reason why she needs to go in the rehab and suffers the perilous stringent routine there. People get depressed and chances are, they become alcoholics, right? But not all depressed individuals and alcoholics need to go in the rehab.

Why? Here's the catch.

I don’t ever wanna drink again
I just, ooo, I just need a friend
Im not gonna spend 10 weeks
Have everyone think I'm on the mend

Got the point? People who are confused and depressed just need a friend who listens to them. When someone listens to them, they seem to realize that there's a good life out there and all they need to do is trust themselves. Imagine if people like this don't trust themselves much and they are hooked with alcohol, their life even sucks more than what we expected.

The next time you hear Winehouse's Rehab, try singing with it. She seems right. Sometimes, learning to say no to rehab is the best thing to do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

An artist should be judged by their music not their personal lives. That's all that matters. Her personal life shouldn't make her (or his) music get less the appreciation it deserves. :)