Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rewinding Time: Ana Ivanovic / Martina Hingis Clash in Montreal Cup 2006


I was reading Martina Hingis bio (she's the Swiss player who sat at the top of WTA rankings for 209 weeks) in Wikipedia and I was in bliss when I found out that Ana Ivanovic, the Roland Garros 2008 Champion who is now at eight in WTA current rankings, outlasted her in Montreal Cup last August 2006.

I immediately browse to YouTube for some videos of this Ivanovic/Hingis historic match and thank God, I've found one. I also browse an article about this clash in Rediff Sports.

Here it is!



Serbia's Ana Ivanovic trounced former world number one Martina Hingis 6-2, 6-3 in the rain-delayed Montreal Cup final on Monday to capture her first Tier 1 title. The 13th-seeded Ivanovic set the tone by breaking Hingis's serve in the first game and never looked back. She also broke the Swiss in the fifth game before wrapping up the set.

In the second set, Ivanovic recorded a key break in the seventh game and closed out the match in 58 minutes when Hingis dropped her serve again in the final game.



"From the first game I let her know I was going to be aggressive," Ivanovic said. "It was important to stay calm and just play some good tennis. I just knew what I had to do to beat her, I just had to play my game. I just want to try and keep the same level now and see how far I can go."

Photos courtesy of:
www.theflowerpot.com
www.cbc.ca

No comments: