Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Power of Control in Writing

What's the use of control in writing?

This is probably the biggest mistake some writers, myself included, are having when they write. They have no control.

To be honest, when you lack control in writing, you get lost- don't know what to say and don't know the reasons why you need to say it. For this reason, you need to control your writing approach. Don't just write whatever is in your mind but write what you think is right.

If you control what is in your mind, you can think of what should be the next sentence you should be writing about. When you're doing this, it's like you're making an outline.

You know, writing is like a tennis game. You need to hit the ball swiftly in order to volley it. The harder you hit the ball, the stronger the intensity and if you are consistently hitting it hard, the bigger chances of bringing home the bacon, right?

That's the world of writing, you need to hit every word, every sentence, every paragraph you need to write. You need to know where are you going to. You need to decide when to turn left, go to the right or make a detour. Sounds hard? I know it's hard but no matter what you say, writing is really difficult even to those who do it all the time.

I'm not a journalist and I might not a great writer like John Grisham. I'm a graduate of psychology but I love writing. Writing is my life. It's the only way to wash out the frustrations and sorrows buried inside me. In fact, learning how to write is also like analyzing the deep walls of human behavior. When I was hired as a content writer in an outsourcing company, I realize one important lesson and this is not a lesson I can just do but a lesson I must do, that is- in writing, you must learn how to properly articulate the what, why, when, where, who, where and how of your content.

The writing approach should not drag your readers into the peak of confusion but make sure you are giving them the support they need. If you think you can't relate to the subject matter but you are forced to write something about it then expect that you are totally screwed.

Honestly, in cases like this, I also don't know what what to do. However, what I did is I read three to four articles related to the subject matter, try to make an outline and forced myself how I can put myself inside it. After writing the content, I edit, edit and edit it. If the output is still not perfect then what I can do? Nothing is perfect in this world, hehe.

But seriously, that's the use of control in writing. Once you really figure out how you can control your ideas for your piece, expect something nice in return.

You need to constantly remember that in writing, you need to think what strategy to use, control what's inside your mind and keep rolling the ball.

No comments: