Thursday, September 4, 2008

Writing A Product Review

One of my weaknessess as a content writer is writing a product review. Sometimes when I am tasked to write a product review, I just don't know what to write about it especially if I haven't no idea what that product is.

I know, writing a product review can be fun and easy. You'll simply need to say something about the product and without knowing it, you have already written 350-words at least. The problem with me is different. When I write product reviews, my mind is like crawling out of words and I feel so limited. I have written several review-articles mostly it's about mobile phones but to tell you the truth, I am not satisfied with the articles I've written. As I see it, the writing approach I have used is tight. It needs a hole in order to breath and I haven't nailed the central gist of what I should be writing about.

If you like to read a sample of my work for my client, click here.

Because of this dissatisfaction I feel, I web-research more tips on how I can write a better product review. Thank God, I found one! Most of the how-to articles I've read before were talking same things. Just blah, blah, blah and I really can't dig what's the bottomline.

For the benefit of the readers, I'll copy and paste the tips here and this how-to article is written by Pat Doyle.

Here's tip 1

"Know your product. To really know it, you should be using the product yourself, or at least have some familiarity with it."

Here's tip 2

"Stress the benefits of the product. Remember, there is a difference between features and benefits. Features are the objective facts about the product. For example, you can say that the product helps you to increase traffic."

Here's tip 3

"Don’t build too much hype around the product. Give it a good honest review. You might want to mention something you did not like about the product, not just the good aspects of it. It won’t hurt you to add something negative - it actually helps, since your readers see you are being honest."

Here's tip 4

"If possible, write about some real results you have achieved by using the product. For example, if it is an ebook about how to get more traffic, then tell about how it increased your traffic by 37%, or whatever the case may be. But don’t lie about it. Your readers can tell whether you are being honest with them."

Here's tip 5

"Don't do a hard sell. All you have to do is get your readers into a receptive frame of mind and interested in the topic."

No comments: