Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Album Review: As I Am- Alicia Keys



The third studio album of Alicia Keys (Alicia J. Augello-Cook in real life) entitled "As I Am" has created a loud buzz all over the world during its release in November 2007. Alicia was born on January 25, 1981 (Aquarius) and won a whooping eleven Grammy Awards (as of I'm writing this review). In fact, "As I Am" reached number one in US Billboard Top 200 on December 1, 2007 and sold 742,000 copies during its first week US release and until now, it's counting for more.The album has 14 cuts and the first 6 tracks were noticeably unforgettable.

1."As I Am (Intro)" (Alicia Keys) - 1:52

2."Go Ahead" (Keys, Mark Batson, Kerry Brothers, Jr., Marsha Ambrosius) - 4:35

3."Superwoman" (Keys, Linda Perry, Steve Mostyn) - 4:34

4."No One" (Keys, Brothers, George D. Harry) - 4:13

5."Like You'll Never See Me Again" (Keys, Brothers) - 5:15

6."Lesson Learned" (featuring John Mayer) (Alicia Keys, John Mayer) - 4:13

7."Wreckless Love" (Keys, Jack Splash, Matthew Kahane, Harold Lilly) - 3:52

8."The Thing About Love" (Keys, Perry) - 3:49

9."Teenage Love Affair" 1 (Keys, Splash, Kahane, Lilly, Josephine Bridges, Carl Hampton, Tom Nixon) - 3:10

10."I Need You" (Keys, Batson, Lilly, Paul L. Green) - 5:09

11."Where Do We Go from Here" 2 (Keys, Brothers, Mary Frierson, Johnnie Frierson) - 4:10

12."Prelude to a Kiss" (Keys) - 2:07

13."Tell You Something (Nana's Reprise)" (Keys, Novel Stevenson, Ron Haney, Brothers, Green, Mostyn) - 4:28

14."Sure Looks Good to Me" (Keys, Perry) - 4:31

This Track Listing is taken from Wikipedia

Strengths


Of all the 14 tracks, her debut single "No One (Track 4)" is, hands down, the most outstanding. Every line of the song has a significant truth and it also articulates the real significance of love in human existence. In fact, the single won as the Best R&B Song in Grammy Awards 2008.

"You and me together | Through the days and nights | I don't worry cause | Everything's gonna be alright | People keep on talking | They can say what they like | But all I know is everything's gonna be alright," she sang.

Another great track in her album is Superwoman (Tack 3) and I am really sure this will become another feminists' theme song worldwide. This is undeniably one of the strongest soulful tracks in Keys' album. In fact, this is her topmost favorite. The first time I heard this song; it produces goosebumps all over my body. It makes me realize that the real attraction of a woman is not only seen in her physical appearance.

I also like Track 5 "Like You'll Never See Me Again." Listening to this song for the first time can be depressing due to its nostalgic lyrics, especially in the chorus part. Try listening to it and you will learn to appreciate the one you loved the most.

Weaknesses

From what I can observe, there's no evident weak areas in the album. However, I expected more of soulful and powerful trademark singles from Alicia. I expected a stronger and soulful duo in her duet with John Mayer in the song "Lessons Learned (Track 6)."

This song was about heartaches and having a damaged ego; Therefore- I expected a lot of intimate exchange of thoughts between the two artists but it turned out that almost all the lines are sung by Alicia. I thought John Mayer could create an interesting twist in the song, sad to say, it didn't happen. "Lessons Learned" can still stand on its own even when John Mayer is not there.

Overall Review

The album is unique. It can lurk straight into the deepest corners of your soul.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Alicia Keys is truly MY BABE, please marry me? :)

No comments: